My dad's mom - my grandmother - passed away 3 years ago this February. She had become quite ill (brain cancer) and we prayed that she would not suffer. We were all able to be together the last Christmas before she passed and she was able to meet my then boyfriend who would later become my husband. Sadly, she would not make it to my wedding later that year. We had prayed that she would get better or she wouldn't suffer. Yesterday she would have turned 82. Though we all know she is in a better place, we still miss her and on days like her birthday, I remember her (more than normal) and the time I was blessed to have her in my life.
My grandfather, after my grandmother's passing, closed the store they had run together in their retirement. It was too much for him to handle alone, though he still has a booth at a mini-mall selling some of their more popular items. This keeps him busy, but also allows him the freedom to travel and do some other things. The business was in their home and because it's gone, the house is really too much for one person. He decided about a year ago it was time to sell and move on to something smaller. Another chapter closed. Another emotional moment as he has lived in that house for almost 60 years. My dad grew up there. It's the right thing to do, but it's definitely bitter sweet.
As I reflect on these moments in our lives, you realize that rarely do things ever stay the same - even those things you've come to rely on as always being one way. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would see my grandparents move (now just my grandfather), but that moment has arrived. It's necessary. Change is sometimes necessary and yet - for most - never easy.
No comments:
Post a Comment